Friday, April 18, 2008

Pulp Sci-Fi Week: Amazing and Wonder Stories

Pulp Spotlight
Buck Rogers
I can't let this first Pulp Sci-Fi event go without mentioning the magazines that have been around since the '20s, that have been the cradle for so many famous Sci-Fi writers and many legendary fictional characters (including the freshly spotlighted Buck Rogers), and that have defined the Science Fiction as we know it today. The magazines I am talking about are Amazing Stories and Science Wonder Stories.

Amazing Stories was first published in New York back in April 1926. The antholgy format, collecting many short stories and novels, has been proven successful for years, even if the magazine has seen the end of his days just recently, in 2006, after 80 years of great stories that made all of us dream.
Buck Rogers Rocket Ship
Science Wonder Stories (or simply Wonder Stories) was edited and published in 1930 by Hugo Gernsback, who was also the founder of Amazing Stories (but he lost control of it pushing him to create the new magazine). The ones showcased here are my humble tribute to recreate that kind of sense of fantastic and wonder you feel when looking at those covers of these pulp sci-fi magazines. They lack of the colors from those covers but I hope they don't lack of the magic :)

Cheers,
Francesco

2 comments:

Kyle Latino said...

And so, the intrepid space marines begin there mission to raid Satan's fridge for a six pack...

Wow, what a week! I gotta say, nothing against you or anything, but I am a little surprised that you did it everyday. I really haven't been able to keep a once a week blog. "Inspirational," is the word for it.

I can't think of a delicate way of saying this; are you putting any of these pieces of for sale somewhere?

Francesco Francavilla said...

HA! Satan's fridge sounds AWESOME! :) Thatnk you, Kyle, I really appreciate you checking out every day this week :) I wasn't actually able to do a new piece everyday as I wanted to as I am in the middle of a big project (announcement coming soon) but I was happy to find the time to deliver new stuff during the week.(a couple of days, as you can see in the signatures, I posted stuff from my archives ;)).
I would love to collect these one day... I'll let you know when and if I do it ;)

Cheers,
Francesco