Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ben Grimm, P.I.

Ben Grimm PI
Ben Grimm PI
(click on the above images for a larger view)

Hello Pulp Friends,

I did the above fake cover as (a bit silly) take on Ben Grimm for Comic Twart - inspired by an initial headsketch of Ben with fedora-like and coat on by Ramon Perez, sketch that I inked and transformed in the above cover.
This morning I couldn't help to do another take on this noir Ben Grimm as warmup sketch and the result is the above (quick) splash page that could actually open the story, which is...

Synopsis:
What if Ben and Reed part ways (not in a good way). After a few years Ben is a PI and (femme fatale) Sue steps in his office. She wants Ben investigating on the murder of Mr Fantastic.
How does that sounds for a NOIR take on the FF? :) Now if only I could find anyone at Marvel who lets me do it ;)

I am reposting these here becuase I think they belong here :)

Cheers,
Francesco

9 comments:

Deka Black said...

Fun! Specially, because i do not like Mr Fantastic at all.

Ted Hobgood said...

Oh, sweet Jeebus. Who do I call to get Marvel to pay you to do an entire comic of this? It's a natural! Pure awesometicity.

Jeremy said...

man where was this idea when Marvel was running that Noir line recently? that's about 100 times better than anything they put out which was just the same characters in the same situations, just with period costumes.

Mike Moran said...

That is awesome.

Brian said...

Well, I think it is a fantastic idea, and Marvel currently is doing a line of "noir" alternate continuity books and they have not done the Fantastic Four yet, so there is an editor at Marvel to pitch something like this to so I say go for it.

Casey (@OneShotCrisis) said...

You can practically her the buzz of the lamps shining through from Yancy Street mixed in with the Chandler-esque voice-over from Ben. Brilliant work!!! Too perfect a world for the character.

Ken O said...

Such a great idea. I'd love to see it actually turn into a book. Who doesn't want to see Mr. Fantastic plugged?

Industrial Helix said...

I would totally read that. And I love the chalk outline of Mr. F. Very Nice!

Chad Carter said...

If only this could happen. That is inspired work, all right.