Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pulp Screen: "King Kong", 1933

Pulp Screen
Hello Pulp Friends,

Time for a new feature, I think ;)
The idea came after having paid tribute to some movies (sometime ago with "White Zombie" and recently with "The Spider's Web", among others) - we have been covering radio show, comics and serials, and even literature and folklore (with Zorro and the recent Witches), so what about having a section for the good ol' classic movies?

Let's start this with a fan favorite, evergreen cult classic like "King Kong". I think the illo says it all so I will just leave you to the movie ;)
**Lights go off and the projector starts rolling...**

Cheers,
Francesco

Click on the image for the technicolor movie poster ;)

King Kong

6 comments:

Anthony Schiavino said...

King Kong is one of my favs but how about some Van Lewton movies? I know it's not pulp per se but the visuals in his movies are stunning. Either that or how about doing me a personal favor and get some Bogart and Bacall in there? :-)

Unknown said...

Somebody stop that ape!!

Great idea, Francesco! I'm looking forward to more stuff you dig up...these things are great!

Say..did you already do King of the Rocketmen? Hmm..I'll have to flip through some of the older pages and see!

-Dave

Anthony Schiavino said...

I always say VAN but it's VAL.

Mark said...

Absolutely beautiful, Francesco!

Given your work on Zorro, it would be cool to see you tackle The Prisoner of Zenda, either the Ronald Coleman or silent version. Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes would also be fun.

Cunningham said...

F -

Love the work. You capture that era very well.

But may I put in my request for:

Republic's THE MASKED MARVEL,
The Copperhead from MYSTERIOUS DOCTOR SATAN, SPY SMASHER, the Republic serial ZORRO, MAGNUS THE ROBOT FIGHTER if it had been a serial, DRUMS OF FU MANCHU, BLACKHAWK, CAPTAIN MARVEL v. THE SCORPION....

There. That should keep you busy for awhile.

:D

Francesco Francavilla said...

Anthony: thank you :D Van makes it a little dutch which is cool ;) I am pretty sure you will see some Val Lewton movies in here at a certain point, and I can guarantee you will see for sure the duo B&B :D
Dave: HA! I see a trend here with all these requests ;) Thanks, Dave, and no, I don't think I did the King of the Rocketmen: the only Rocketmen I visited so far are the Rocketeer and Commando Cody. Need to put this on my to-do list ;)
Mark: Thank you so much, Mark, and you read my mind as I was planning to do a Basil Rathbone very soon (either in the "Pulp Screen" section or in the new "Classic Portraits" feature). Stay tuned :)
Bill: HA! I told you I saw a trend ;) Thank you, man, and some of the requests you did are already on my list: I just need to get to it now and yeah, that should be keeping me busy for a while ;)

Cheers,
Francesco