Thursday, February 11, 2010

Enemy Ace

Enemy Ace

Click on the above and below illo for LARGER views.

Hello Pulp Friends,

To keep it in the WWII theme, here's a pinup I just finished for a retrospective dedicated to Garth Ennis (in this case: Enemy Ace War in Heaven) during the upcoming Napoli Comicon, Naples, Italy.

Geez how much love drawing this kinda stuff :D

Below the B/W inks, which turned out almost with a Toppi vibe to them, and a sepia/greyscale old-looking version.
Hope you guys enjoy :)

Cheers and stay warm,
Francesco

Enemy Ace
Enemy Ace

Artwork © 2010 Francesco Francavilla

9 comments:

Kyle Latino said...

Oh, beautiful ink work! Just inspiring!

Jake said...

I can really appreciate the detail on your aircraft. Nice!

Unknown said...

Francesco... I've taken a particular interest in your work over the past 6 weeks. I must say it is pretty mesmerizing. Your use of light and shadow are simply amazing. The way you take the time to render the subtle details in ink... I just can't say enough. This piece is stunning, and the J.A.K.E. piece really put me on the floor (that robot has been a fave of mine since I was very little). Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you've got a fan.

Brian Meredith said...

Just too cool for words...

Brian said...

Man, that's good.

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thak you, Kyle :)
Thanks, Jake, it's all in the details ;)
Thank you, Oran, I really appreciate the kind comment and letting me know you are now part of the Pulp Sunday Club. Welcome! :)
And thanks to the 2 Brians, so sweet of you :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Craig Zablo said...

I was trying to decide which version I liked best. I finally gave up because they are all great.

Ilia said...

one of my favorite characters and you kicked ass on that pinup. Awesome. Now is this digital all the way or did you do the sketch on paper?

Francesco Francavilla said...

Craig: I am still undecided myself ;) Thank you, glad you like'em all :)
Ilia: glad to hear I did justice to the character, thank you :) As for everything, the intial sketch, more or less detailed, is on paper. If very detailed, I usually scan and ink over it. If less detailed, I just use it as a "master" for the final drawing, which sometimes may end up looking slightly different in composition.

Cheers,
Francesco