Friday, November 6, 2009

"Invaders From Mars" (1953)

Invaders From Mars
Hello, Pulp Friends,

I feel like I have been neglecting this blog a bit, after the "busy" Halloween month in October - I just have a few deadlines I need to take care so I have been focusing on "work" lately ;) As matter of fact I haven't had chance yet to watch the "V" series premiere, even if I DVRed it so maybe this weekend I will fix that.

Meanwhile here's a classic for our Alien November: "Invaders From Mars" (or "Gli Invasori SPaziali" in its italian release), directed in 1953 by William Cameron Menzies and remade later in the 80s.

Quick Synopsis: A kid witnesses a starship landing on Earth and disappearing undergorund. He tries to warn everyone about this but only a doctor believes him.
Shot in 3D, this movie is the proof that you can accomplish a lot with really good ideas, even if the budget is tight.
Paranoid, obsessive, unforgettable.


Happy Pulp Friday, everybody! :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Artwork © 2009 Francesco Francavilla.
"Watchers from Outer Space" © and TM 2009 Francesco Francavilla.

5 comments:

Rob M. Worley said...

sweet!

Jake said...

The lettering on the silhouette is genius!

Chuck Wells said...

That's a cool choice for this blog. Neato!

Honolulu Dogfight said...

Man I am so excited to see you do a whole bunch of sci fi stuff. I would love to see you do a whole science fiction comic someday. Like you're not busy enough I know...

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Rob :)
Thanks, Jake, glad you like that little "touch" :D
Thank you, Chuck :)
Thanks, George :) While I would love too doing more sci-fi books, you should check the Fear Agent issue (#11) I drew a couple of years ago - good old pulp sci-fi :)

Cheers,
Francesco